Category: Kindergarten Pages
Hello, my name is Jessica Glenn. This is my ninth year at Our Lady of Peace School. I am a product of Catholic education from grade school through college. I am a graduate of Our Lady of Peace, Bishop Donahue High School and Wheeling Jesuit University. While attending Wheeling Jesuit University I chose the major of Elementary Education. After graduation, I committed myself to a year of service with AmeriCorps. As the year came to an end I was hired at Wheeling Catholic Elementary School as the Kindergarten teacher. This year will mark my seventeenth year of teaching kindergarten.
I currently live in Elm Grove with my husband and three children. I love being a mother and a teacher. I am so excited to be back at OLP!
My heart is in Catholic education. I truly believe that my Catholic education has given me the foundation on which I am able to teach from and I am so happy to share that with the children at Our Lady of Peace School.
This is my 13th year as kindergarten aide here at OLP. I am blessed to work with Mrs. Jessica Glenn. She is all that a parent would want for their child’s kindergarten teacher. I enjoy my time here with the kids and the OLP Community.
My philosophy is… You are unique, and if that is not fulfilled then something has been lost.
I am from Charleston, W.V., but have lived in Wheeling all my married life.
I graduated from WVU with a bachelors degree in secondary education.
“We see God everyday, we just don’t always recognize Him.”
Our religion series www.faithfirst.com
Parents may also want to check out ABCya.com or type in “Kindergarten activities” or “Kindergarten games” in the Google search engine for additional educational games and activities you can do together at home.
Please pick 6 or more books to read to your child (or they may read them) for a Summer Reading Treat when school starts in the fall. Your choices do not have to be from this list. These are some great books to help you with your choices. Pick three books you read and draw a picture about them on the attached paper. One picture per sheet.
Kindergarten Suggested Summer Reading List
Research has shown that the single greatest factor in predicting reading success is whether a child is read to when young. Here are some titles to get you started!
Note: The following books are only suggestions. Please feel free to add any books that are appropriate for your reader.
Books About Me
• I Like Me! by Nancy L. Carlson
• I Like to Be Little by Charlotte Zolotow
• The Mixed-Up Chameleon by Eric Carle
• My Five Senses by Aliki
• Owen by Kevin Henkes
• When I Get Bigger by Mercer Mayer
• Just Me Books by Mercer Mayer
• Mama Do You Love Me? by Barbara M. Joosse
Predictable Books (Stories with a pattern using rhyme or rhythm.)
• Curious George by H. A. Rey
• Each Peach Pear Plum by Janet and Allan Ahlberg
• The Gingerbread Boy by Paul Galdone
• Gregory the Terrible Eater by Mitchell Sharmat
• Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
• Millions of Cats by Wanda Gág
• What’s in Fox’s Sack? by Paul Galdone
Beginning, Middle, and End Concept
• Bony-Legs by Joanna Cole
• A Camping Spree with Mr. Magee by Chris Van Dusen
• Love You Forever by Robert Munsch
• Rosie’s Walk by Pat Hutchins
• The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown
Color and Counting Books
• Each Orange Had Eight Slices: A Counting Book by Paul Giganti Jr.
• Fish Eyes: A Book You Can Count On by Lois Ehlert
• Frog Counts to Ten by John Liebler
• Inch by Inch by Leo Lionni
• Is it Red? Is it Yellow? Is it Blue? by Tana Hoban
• Planting a Rainbow by Lois Ehlert
• Ten Bears in My Bed: A Goodnight Countdown by Stanley Mack
• Ten Little Fish by Audrey Wood
• 26 Letters and 99 Cents by Tana Hoban
Caldecott Winners and Honor Books
• Color Zoo by Lois Ehlert
• Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans
• More, More, More Said the Baby by Vera B. Williams
• Officer Buckle and Gloria by Peggy Rathman
• Swimmy by Leo Lionni
• Tops and Bottoms by Janet Stevens
Mother Goose and Nursery Rhymes
• James Marshall’s Mother Goose by James Marshall
• My Very First Mother Goose by Iona Opie and Rosemary Wells
• Tomie dePaola’s Mother Goose by Tomie dePaola
Folktales and Fairy Tales
• Chicken Little by Steven Kellogg
• Cinderella by Marcia Brown
• The Hare and the Tortoise by Brian Wildsmith
• Henny Penny by H. Werner Zimmermann
• The Little Red Hen by Margot Zemach
• The Three Bears by Paul Galdone
• The Three Billy Goats Gruff by Peter Christen Asbjornsen
• Three Little Pigs by James Marshall
• The Three Little Pigs by Rodney Peppé
• The Ugly Duckling by Hans Christian Andersen
Stories in Rhyme
• All the Colors of the Earth by Sheila Hamanaka
• Bringing the Rain to Kapiti Plain by Verna Aardema
• Miss Spider’s Tea Party by David Kirk
• Benjamin and Tulip by Rosemary Wells
• We Are Best Friends by Aliki
• Who Will Be My Friends? by Syd Hoff
Fabulous Science Books
• Cars and How they Go by Joanna Cole
• Eyewitness Juniors Amazing Frogs and Toads by Barry Clarke
• Magic School Bus On the Ocean Floor by Joanna Cole
- 2 rolls of paper towels
- 2 box of tissues
- 1 package of napkins
- beach towel (to lay on during rest periods)
- 8 or 12 count box of crayons ( Crayola -no chunky type)
- 2 glue sticks (solid)
- Fiscars scissors
- 2 folders
- old shirt for painting
- change of clothes in plastic bag (place child’s name on bag)
- 10 count watercolor paints (prefer Crayola)
- hard plastic pencil box (cigar box size)
- 10 count washable markers
- 1 box Ziploc sandwich bags (sandwich or quart size)
- bottle of hand sanitizer ( 8 or 12 oz.)
- 1 container disinfecting wipes (Lysol type, etc.)
- headphones in a labeled plastic ziploc bag (prefer “over the ear” style, no earbuds at this age please)
Please label all with your child’s name!